Sunday, July 24, 2011

Annotated Bibliography


O'Brien, Tim. The Things They Carried. 1st Mariner Books edition. New York, NY: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company, 1990. Print.
The Things They Carried is a fiction novel by Vietnam veteran Tim O’Brien. This novel is a series of short stories that can be read alone or as a whole. It is roughly based in truth about O’Brien’s life and the time he spent in Vietnam. I very much enjoyed reading this book and I have suggested it to some of my friends to read as well.  

Mintz, S. "The Vietnam War." Digital History . N.p., 2007. Web. 15 Jul 2011. <http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/modules/vietnam/index.cfm>.
This website was very helpful in my search to learn more about Vietnam and why we even took a part in that war. It was very useful to me when it came to finding specific dates and numbers associated with the war. This site was very informative considering before this class I have very limited knowledge of Vietnam. I think it is important for everyone to know the reasons for events in the past.  

Howell, Deborah. "The Whole Story on Military Recruiting?." Washington Post 2004: n. pag. Web. 14 Jul 2011. <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/24/AR2005122400722.html>.
This article discusses the growing problem with military recruiting. It helps confirm the suspicion lots of Americans have regarding the tactics the military uses in lower income communities. Although the article is more resent than Vietnam this has been known of the military for years and I found it important when I was writing my paper and discussing the draft. I liked this article; I think it is important that this sort of thing be brought to everyone’s attention. The draft was probably the most unbiased way to recruit soldiers in history. I think it is tragic that some people are so desperate to get out of their current situation that they would rather go fight and possibly die as an escape.

Merricks, Alvin. "Tim O'Brien, Author." Tim O'Brien. Tim O'Brien, 25 Aug 2010. Web. 15 Jul 2011. <http://www.illyria.com/tobhp.html>.
This website is Tim O’Brien’s official page. It was a reliable source of information on the author himself. It was useful in my paper for comparing situations of the characters in the book to the history of the author. I enjoyed reading over this site because it speaks not only about Tim O’Brien but about his other works as well. After reading over some of the works I might just go and buy another one of his books.   

2 comments:

  1. Your post was well organized and thorough. You have perked my interest in the article "The Whole Story on Military Recruiting". I think I will look it up and read it! I think it is great that you are wanting to read more by O'Brien based on the info. you collected of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sources were good choices. I liked the book too and the play. This two readings show the effects on the soldiers fighting for our country. No matter if the person is drafted or the person volunteers they still go through the same emotional pain.

    ReplyDelete